Justin Bieber helps Billy Crystal open the Oscars
Billy Crystal did alright as host of Sunday’s Oscars, thanks in no small part to a strategic cameo by Justin Bieber. Watch the Biebs lend his 18-24 demographic charm to this “Midnight in Paris” spoof. Total lolz, guys.
It’s nice to see somebody put their money where their clout is. Like Lady Gaga, who, along with her mother, Cynthia Germanotta, launched the Born This Way Foundation this week during a ceremony at Harvard. The organization aims to help put a stop to bullying through youth empowerment. Gaga also announced that the Born Brave bus will follow her tour bus around the country, giving people from all walks of life a space to come talk about their experiences—and tailgate before the show, ‘natch. Read more about it here.
Davy Jones of The Monkees dies
The world lost a pop icon this week when Davy Jones passed away suddenly from a heart attack. He was sixty-six. As singer for TV pop group The Monkees in the late ‘60s, Jones rose to fame for both his boyish good looks and ability to rock out on a tambourine like no other. He will be missed. R.I.P.
Erykah Badu’s new body art irked so many people that the singer was asked to cancel her tour dates in Malaysia by the government. Apparently some Muslims don’t appreciate the word “Allah” appearing in ink on the bare shoulders of a woman, especially one’s been known to strip all her clothes off and parade about town naked. Go figure.
Gorillaz get gross for “Do Ya Thing” video
If the Gorillaz ever invite you over for breakfast, don’t accept. The new video for “Do Ya Thing” shows CGI band members eating toast with bloody ears among other unsavory things. Vocals by LCD Soundsystem’s James Murphy and Andre 3000 make the music palatable, at least. Watch the video below.
Kid Cudi gets morbid tattoo, lands No. 1 spot on iTunes
The fact that Kid Cudi’s “weak ass” label only mailed out 55,000 physical copies of his new album, WZRD, may have been a blessing in disguise, forcing folks to go online to get their copy. WZRD ended up nabbing the No. 1 spot on iTunes, but that didn’t improve Cudi’s mood. Not one bit. And we say that because he’s now sporting this tattoo. Dude, lighten up.
- U2 bassist Adam Clayton suing Bank of Ireland
- Taylor Swift to take ailing teen to the CMAs
- Subway singer Damon Scott saves man’s life
- Toto sues Sony over digital royalties
- Rick Ross’ home becomes murder scene
- LMFAO makes Santigold cry
- Norah Jones collabs with Danger Mouse on “Happy Pills”
- Miley Cyrus receives death threats before Oscars
- “Man or Muppet” wins Oscar
- Cee Lo Green writing memoirs
- John Mayer’s Born and Raised out May 22
- Karmin interviewed for Magic Box
- Taylor Swift has tea party with Sophia Grace and Rosie
- Target pulls Whitney Houston card